WISE AWARDS 2017 Nomination Criteria
Please read the following carefully before proceeding to the nomination forms:
The WISE Awards are to recognise and share best practice for attracting and improving opportunities for women working in physical science, technology, engineering and mathematics (this does not include medical and life science where women are well represented). We are looking for those who are achieving significantly ahead of others in their sector. Our judges will also base their decisions on how a winner plans to use the power of their Award to continue making a difference. We are looking for more than visiting your local school or university and commitment beyond what is expected of your daily job/business/education activity.
This year you must nominate yourself for a WISE Award and cannot nominate someone else. You are welcome to collaborate on your nomination forms with colleagues, family or friends but the questions are designed to be answered by the nominee themselves.
New to 2017, ALL nominations MUST include a 1 minute video
If you were to win your Award, you would receive a day's work-shadowing with a leader from one of our sponsor companies. Tell us in a one minute or less video, what you would like to learn and why. Do not provide a link to any video longer than one minute as this will invalidate your nomination.
Want to nominate yourself for more that one Award? Within the application system here - Select “Search awards” from the main menu, find the award you’re interested in and select ‘apply’ to start a new nomination form. Your contact details will be carried into the new nomination form, but all other nomination details will need to be re-entered.
Click here for information showing what percentage of women work in your sector and the percentages of girls taking science and technology subjects at school, college and university compared to boys. Please refer to these figures when you answer the nomination questions.
The WISE Awards 2017 will take place on Thursday 9 November, at 8 Northumberland Avenue, London. Nominations will open in February 2017 and the closing date for nominations is 5pm Friday 23 June 2017.
See the main Awards Questions for each category before you start your application
- Entries for the WISE Awards close at 5pm Friday 23 June 2017
- Entries can only be submitted by the nominee themselves
- Entries may be cast across multiple categories but generic responses are not accepted
- Previous nominees are welcome to enter however those who have previously won a WISE Award are not eligible to enter in any category
- Sponsor organisations and their employees are eligible to enter any category other than the one that their organisation is sponsoring
- Nominees must be resident and legally entitled to work in the UK
- With the exception of the WISE Toy and One to Watch Awards (see below); In order to be eligible for consideration, nominees must be available for an in-person interview with the judging panel on Wednesday 13 September at The IET, Savoy Place, London. Shortlisted nominees will be invited to attend for the full day in London by the end of August 2017.
- In order to be eligible for consideration for the WISE Toy Award, nominees must be available for an in-person interview with judging panel and toy testing day on Tuesday 26 September at Thales Ltd, Research institute in Reading
- In order to be eligible for consideration for the WISE One to Watch Award, nominees must be available for an in-person interview with the judging panel on Wednesday 27 September at Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd, Pipers Way, Swindon
- During the judging days we will also be filming and photographing shortlisted nominees
- The judging panel will comprise of representatives from WISE and sponsoring organisations. The judges’ decision is final and judges will not enter into correspondence with nominees and/or their representatives. Apart from the WISE team and the judges who will see the nomination forms, your contact information will not be shared with any external sources without your prior approval
- Please make sure you have answered every question or your nomination may be disqualified. You may submit relevant supplementary documentation with your nomination form, but only at the time of nomination
- Nominations without photographic and video files as requested will not be considered
- If shortlisted, the nominee details will be used in all promotional literature at the event and engraved / printed on trophies / certificates where relevant. Please ensure this information is correct at the time of nomination
- Winners and finalists of the Awards will be expected to participate in promotional activity with WISE at mutually beneficial times, this may include use of your story as a case study, where possible attending and speaking at events, acting as an ambassador for WISE and providing quotes for use in public relations activity
- Presentation of the Awards will take place on the evening of 9 November 2017 at 8 Northumberland Avenue, London. All those shortlisted will receive one complimentary ticket to the Awards for their personal use and shortlisted under 18’s (under 18 as at the closing date of 23 June 2017) will receive one additional complimentary ticket for an adult chaperone
- If you have entered and not heard from us by the end of August 2017 you have not been shortlisted this year
- WISE is unable to reimburse travel or accommodation costs related to the WISE Awards or the in-person judging day
Nomination forms must be completed online HERE- please read the instructions carefully on the landing page before completing the nomination form