My Skills My Life – The Background
Not for People Like Me, a WISE report published in 2014, sponsored by Network Rail, summarised evidence to explain why girls and people from black and Asian backgrounds assume that science, technology and engineering are not for them. Professor Averil Macdonald, CBE, who wrote the research report, went on to develop a quiz for girls to match them with different types of scientist. Since WISE launched the first People Like Me resource pack in September 2015, which included this quiz, different versions were published featuring role models from specific sectors and regions.
In response to feedback from girls and to recommendations of an independent evaluation of People Like Me by the Open University, WISE replaced the quiz with an online game My Skills My Life, and updated the Types of Scientist list. The Science Council, who produced the original Types of Scientist list has endorsed the updated version.
My Skills my Life has been developed in consultation with over 1000 girls in 25 schools and Girlguiding groups throughout the UK.
We would like to thank girls and teachers from the following schools for getting involved! Their contribution in helping us create a resource relevant for girls has been invaluable!
The full list
- 1st Farsley Guides, Leeds
- Ashlyns School, Berkhamsted
- Blackwood Comprehensive School, Gwent
- Bohunt School, Wokingham
- Chapel-en-le-Frith High School, Chapel-en-le-Frith
- Cransley School, Northwich
- Dame Alice Owens School, Potters Bar
- Devonport High School for Girls, Plymouth
- Dringhouses Primary School, York
- Duchess’s Community High School, Alnwick
- Eggbuckland Community College, Plymouth
- Glossopdale School, Glossop
- Grace Academy, Coventry
- Madani Girls’ School, Leicester
- Millthorpe School, York
- Miltoncross School, Portsmouth
- Newlands School for Girls, Kingston upon Hull
- Nottingham Girls’ Academy, Nottingham
- Sir John Leman High School, Beccles
- Stantonbury International School, Milton Keynes
- Testwood School, Southampton
- The Henry Cort Community College, Fareham
- Thomas Alleyne, Stevenage
- Walton Priory Middle School, Stone
- Westminster City School, London
- Wilsthorpe Community School, Derby