The WISE ‘My Skills My Life’ campaign is a research-based approach that aims to challenge the perceptions of STEM careers with school age girls. The best way for women and girls to see themselves working in a STEM role is through having inspirational STEM role models.
‘There is a clear link between role models and an increased passion for Science, technology and maths subjects, with more interest in careers in these fields and greater self-confidence’ (Microsoft, 2018)
We have developed a new online platform that allows girls to find out about their preferred personality types and to match them with role models like yourself who have rewarding and successful careers in STEM. Once you have completed your profile, and it has been approved, it will be added to the new platform and girls will be able to view this after completing the quiz.
When completing your profile, please remember that girls, in general, tend to identify more with adjectives. They respond more strongly to the bigger picture and impact of your role and that they’re looking to find a way to identify with you. The more personal your response, the greater the impact you can have with them!
In order to complete your very own profile, please follow the instructions below:
1. Go to www.myskillsmylife.org.uk.
2. Click ‘Create Your Own Account’ and then on ‘Role Model’.
3. Please type in your work email address, followed by your company and the rest of the required details.
4. Once this is set up, you will need to verify your email. This email will come from firstname.lastname@example.org. It may get caught in your spam/junk so please keep an eye on these folders too. If it doesn’t come through, please send an email through to email@example.com.
5. Before creating your profile, you will need to complete the ‘My Skills, My Life’ quiz. This will give you three personality types (example below).
6. You can then browse the platform itself to have a look at your personality types in more depth, and to explore the other role model profiles through the ‘Explore’ button.
7. When you’re ready to create your profile, please click ‘my Role Model Profile’ in the side-bar.
8. You then need to click ‘Actions’ in the top right corner, and ‘Edit’.
9. There are a few different questions for you to answer and there is space for you to upload further photos. Please ensure that you’re using language suitable for 11-19 year olds and avoid using acronyms. Please write your answers in first person.
10. Once you’ve finished answering the questions, please click ‘Save’ at the bottom right of the page.
11. By clicking ‘Actions’ again and this time ‘View Public Profile’, you will be able to see what your profile will look like to the girls!