Sweco UK Ltd
Who are Sweco UK Ltd?
A leading multi-disciplinary engineering, environment and design consultancy, Sweco combines local presence with global reach to deliver innovative, positive and sustainable solutions.
Sweco employs 860 people in 15 offices across the UK. Our expertise covers energy, transportation infrastructure, transport planning, environment, landscape architecture, asset management, building design and water.
With a clear vision of the future, our consultants are gathering and processing geographic information to enable us to analyse large amounts of data for the design of motorways that will open in 20 years, designing Western Europe’s tallest residential tower in London and providing expertise for the modernisation of research facilities in the Antarctic.
What projects / schemes / initiatives to support women’s recruitment, retention and progression in STEM are Sweco UK Ltd involved in?
To celebrate National Women in Engineering Day in 2017, we extended this event to a week-long celebration, highlighting several women from across our business and the amazing contribution they are making to Sweco and to the industry. These women represent all areas of the business and their roles reflect the wide spectrum of responsibilities in the business from engineers, environmentalists, and project managers to directors and graduates.
We support our colleagues who are STEM Ambassadors and recognise the value it offers individuals, as well as demonstrating our commitment to sharing our expertise externally and helping to foster the development of future engineers.
We recently introduced a new maternity policy which now provides a level of enhanced maternity pay.
During 2018 we have several projects planned including:
- Creating a new diversity group comprised of senior leadership to improve diversity across the business. The focus for 2018 will be on gender.
- Reviewing labour turnover for women to identify any trends and action required.
- Reviewing exit interview data to understand why women are leaving and what we can do about it.
- Reviewing our approach to attraction to identify how we can attract more women into the business. We will adopt broader methodologies to attract female candidates into the business and challenge the diversity of shortlists.
- Line manager resourcing training which will include reviewing role requirements, approaches to attraction and unconscious bias.
Why did Sweco UK Ltd join WISE?
“Sweco aims to encourage young people to consider a career in engineering and the great opportunities it provides.
We joined WISE to access a network and resources which will help us to progress initiatives that support the recruitment, retention and progression of women in STEM.”
Max Joy OBE CEng FIMechE Managing Director