CAF Rail UK Ltd
Who are CAF Rail UK Ltd?
CAF (Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles) are a multinational group with over 100 years’ experience in the supply worldwide of comprehensive transport solutions including; urban and long-distance trains, buses, components, signalling systems and services.
CAF Rail UK is a wholly owned subsidiary of CAF, is responsible for the technical, maintenance and material supply support for all CAF UK projects.
- In Belfast DMUs (Diesel Multiple Units) for Northern Ireland Rail.
- In Edinburgh 100% low floor trams for Edinburgh Trams.
- In Birmingham 100% low floor trams for Transport West Midlands and DMUs for West Midland Trains.
- In Manchester DMUs and EMUs (Electric Multiple Units) for Northern Rail and EMUs and coaches TransPennine Express.
- In Stockport a central stores and overhaul facility.
- In Liverpool EMUs for Northern Rail.
- In Glasgow and London Sleeper trains for Caledonian Sleeper.
- In Chester DMUs for Wales and Borders.
- In London automated metros for Dockland Light Rail.
What projects / schemes / initiatives to support women’s recruitment, retention and progression in STEM are CAF Rail involved in?
CAF Rail UK’s vision is to provide a diverse and inclusive place of work for all colleagues across the UK. Our mission is to identify, attract and retain a diverse range of colleagues with a wealth of experience and knowledge. We are committed to educating colleagues, cultivating and promoting an inclusive culture and engaging with diverse groups.
To achieve our mission we aim to:
- Increase the number of female colleagues in engineering related roles.
- Increase the number of BAME colleagues.
- Create a supportive and inclusive culture where every colleague can be themselves at work.
- Increase awareness of D&I improving engagement and driving inclusive leadership.
We plan to achieve this by:
- Partnering with WISE on their 10 step programme.
- Improve our recruitment & attraction strategy with a focus on relevant underrepresented groups.
- Deliver training to all managers to enable competence and confidence to lead and challenge.
- Communicate and promote D&I related topics and events throughout the year.
- Increase exposure to diverse populations and drive engagement through careers fairs at local colleges and universities.
- Appointed an EDI champion to work with Women in Rail EDI charter working group.
Why did CAF Rail join WISE?
“We’ve partnered with WISE to support us in our journey towards gender diversity in what is typically a male dominated industry. We understand the importance of attracting and retaining female engineers and technicians to make this a great place to work, to deliver a culture of inclusion and drive improvement.”
– Sinead Scott, Operations Manager, Member of Diversity and Inclusion Working Group