Who are Atkins?
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
We transform potential into reality and have an enviable track record in doing exactly that. We’ll share our exceptional experience and expertise as we deliver beyond engineering, practising the art and the science of the possible. Together, we’ll see the future more clearly and better understand the world around us.
What projects / schemes / initiatives to support women’s recruitment, retention and progression in STEM are Atkins involved in?
We’re working hard to overcome the perception that engineering is a man’s world and highlight the variety of exciting and flexible careers at Atkins.
Looking out for female talent
- Atkins has signed up the WISE 10 point plan to increase gender balance, opportunities and development for women.
- Over 175 of our employees are STEM ambassadors with Local Authority partnerships, going into schools/colleges (especially girl’s schools) to promote these subjects and offer mentoring.
- We participate in events and sponsor awards aimed at changing perceptions of the STEM industries amongst teenagers, particularly girls, and their teachers.
- We have women in key advisory positions on industry societies and institutions.
- Our careers website reflects the value we place on collaborative behaviours, inclusivity and flexible working. It also celebrates thought leadership and projects led by our female employees.
Looking after female talent
- Our Women’s Professional Network has been running for a number of years with regular events at many of our offices. The purpose is to inspire female employees and support their career progression.
- Our Women’s Development Programme is designed for women wishing to advance their career within Atkins.
- The Women’s Leadership Council is a body of our most senior women who guide the way for others, acting as role models and mentors.
- We offer a wide range of flexible working options including part-time, term-time, home working, job sharing and mobile working, or a combination.
We’re introducing a Women Returners Programme to support women as they reintegrate into work after adoption or maternity leave.
In March 2017 Atkins won Semta’s, Diveristy in Enginering Award – see more here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9f3AZnAcg
Why did Atkins join WISE?
“Finding the best solutions to the world’s toughest challenges to create a better future for all of us will need diversity of thinking and skills. Through WISE, we hope to attract more talented women to our sector to make that positive difference to the future.”
« Back to WISE Members Page
– Neil Thomas, managing director of Atkins’ Water & Environment division and sponsor of Atkins’ diversity programme