- Grade H: £27,928 - £36,425 per annum (dependent on relevant skills and experience) plus a London Weighting allowance of £3,995pa
- Sustrans, Farringdon, London (office-based with some flexibility)
- Closes 31st October 2017
Job title: Senior Engineer
Salary: Grade H: £27,928 - £36,425 per annum (dependent on relevant skills and experience) plus a London Weighting allowance of £3,995pa
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (flexible working pattern)
Base: Sustrans offices in Farringdon,London (office-based with some flexibility)
Note: this role might require the post-holder to travel and work at other locations as necessary to undertake projects on behalf of Sustrans.
To work in London’s booming sustainable transport industry, designing and implementing progressive cycling and walking infrastructure across London with particular focus working on Quietways*. To provide highway engineering advice and designs for community lead urban realm schemes around London. To provide guidance to other engineers and technicians within the team and to develop own skills in line with Sustrans strategy and personal career ambitions.
*Quietways forms part of the Mayor for London’s cycling strategy and is funded by TfL. Sustrans is the delivery agent for Quietways.
Place in Organisation:
The post holder will report to the Head of Built Environment.
- Head of Built Environment
- Lead Urban Designers
- Senior Engineer/s, London
- Head of Infrastructure
- Communities Manager
- Delivery Manager
- National Engineering & Urban Design staff
- Route Managers
- Other London Project Officers
- Local authorities (Officers & Members)
- Transport for London
- Other third parties such as Network Rail, CRT
- Contractors & partner consultants
- Campaign groups
- Other highway engineering professionals
- Engineering consultants
Delivery of projects or services:
- To work within a multidisciplinary team, being responsible for undertaking scheme development and delivering both preliminary and detailed designs.
- To produce engineering drawings and technical reports.
- To liaise effectively with other disciplines, clients, contractors and regulatory/statutory authorities.
- To assist in the preparation of planning documents and manage schemes through the planning process.
- To supervise contracts for the construction of cycling and walking routes and facilities,
- To collaborate with Sustrans Urban Design and Community Engagement colleagues in designing innovative neighbourhood and town centre projects.
- To attend stakeholder meetings to explain and sometimes justify design rationale during technical scrutiny.
- To participate in Quality Assurance process and make sure high quality standards apply to all Sustrans in London design work.
- To influence local authorities, funders and other partners when designing and building schemes to obtain best possible outcome.
- To participate in bid writing for projects as required.
- To pursue, or alert colleagues to, business development opportunities, maintaining key local authority and partner relationships.
Communication and marketing:
- To contribute towards raising the profile of Sustrans, by representing the charity at meetings, activities and events, as required.
- To support and comply with the charity’s guidance on branding, tone of voice and key messages, positively contributing towards raising Sustrans’ profile.
Training and personal development:
- To attend essential Sustrans training as required by the Charity
- To ensure own personal development by working to objectives set as part of the Charity’s appraisal process.
- To undertake training as appropriate to develop in preferred career path
Health and safety, safeguarding and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
- To support and comply with the organisation’s policies for the management of Health and Safety including CDM.
- To support and comply with the organisation’s policies for the management of safeguarding.
- To support and comply with the organisation’s policy and procedures relating to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and apply principles of best practice in own role.
- This role may have additional responsibilities as a member of a network of colleagues working on Sustrans-wide coordination of engineering work.
- To perform any other duties consistent with the nature and grade of the role as agreed with the line manager.
- To manage, develop and coach team members by setting clear objectives and monitoring performance to maximise their potential.
- To work with HR to ensure that training and development of staff is planned effectively and in line with business need.
Sustrans offers a flexible working pattern that recognises work life balance. Overnight stays away from home may be necessary when participating in projects away from their designated base. Occasional weekend and late working may be required with time off in lieu. The post-holder must be prepared to walk, cycle or use public transport for the majority of work journeys.
This job description does not form part of the contract of employment, but indicates how that contract should be performed. The job description may be subject to amendment in the light of experience and in consultation with the jobholder.