- About us
- People Like Me
- WISE Awards
- WISE Conference
GSK Consumer Healthcare is seeking to make a “Step Change in Digital, Data & Analytics” and is establishing a new-from-the-ground-up Analytics Platform purpose built to help execute on that vision. As a result we are looking for a Development / Delivery Director to join our Commercial Data & Analytics team.
We envision the Development/Delivery Director to be a hands-on role managing a team of Development / Delivery Managers to conduct and supervise the various build and deployment activities involved in establishing the new platform, plus implement an already significant and growing pipeline of future build-outs on the platform.
The role will be supported by Architecture and Product Management resources but as the Director you will also be expected to contribute your experience to those activities to improve the overall team success.
As Development/Delivery Director, your role will include responsibilities for:
• Mobilisation: Work with Product Management and Departmental head to manage demand pipeline and balance with development/delivery team capacity.
• Development: Hands on, sleeves up development and delivery expected as a matter of course. This is a hybrid “do-er” + line manager role. See below for expected % allocations.
• Delivery: Ensure project goals are achieved on time in alignment with the stakeholders’ expectation. Ability to manage complex projects. Escalate to other CH Tech leadership team when needing support. Work in close collaboration with other team members in the CH BI Tech team, to ensure Development/Delivery aspects are well represented in the projects requirements and deliverables.
• Methodology: Project methodology will prioritise Agile but where regulatory requirements exist may also require traditional Waterfall approaches or a hybrid between the two. The selected individual will have the necessary flexibility to adapt the team to the methodology that fits the project most. Fully embrace integrated DevOps approaches.
• Ownership: Take ownership for the development/delivery projects and help steer until completion.
• Partnering: Work when required with other externals and/or internal delivery agents to coordinate delivery.
• Governance: Follow governance that allows the projects and stakeholders to manage overall project performance and manage programme risks within the global nature of some of the programmes.
• Budget: Contribute to estimation & budget processes and actively manage development/delivery resources to help ensure managed budget tracking.
• Reporting: Support the routine programme/ project reporting.
• Forward looking: Remain flexible towards technology approaches to ensure that the best advantage is being taken of new technologies. Keep abreast of industry developments in analytics and be able to interpret how these would impact services and present new opportunities.
• Quality, Risk & Compliance: Ensure all risk and issues associated with owned projects are recorded and managed in the appropriate Risk & Issue logs in a timely manner. Ensure all Risks and Issues have clear action/mitigation/contingency plans defined, with named action owners and timelines for completion.
• Mentoring: Contribute to the overall running of team, including the development of talent and capabilities. Use experience to bring new ideas and to identify and challenge ineffective practices. Leverage experience to help support Development/Delivery Managers to deliver more effectively.
• People Management: Manage a team of direct report Development/Delivery Managers who will be directly responsible for development and delivery of new capabilities. Line mange permanent resources in meeting development objectives and receive feedback to support the PDP process. Where outsource project delivery is required manage agency workers and ensure the right level of capability is engaged to ensure the success of the project. Take steps to manage poor performance and take necessary steps to ensure projects delivery are not threatened. Able to manage and motivate direct reports who may be globally located.
• Technical Architecture: Be conversant with technical architecture to contribute to design discussions in partnership with the dedicated Analytics & Data Architect.
As a rough guide expect 40% of the role to be technical development/delivery focused, 40% of the role to be aligned to Development/Delivery Team Management & leadership and the remaining 20% to be focused on the development delivery process.
The role is rare in that the scope for you to make an impact is very real and you will interface significantly with colleagues across the company in the Commercial Business & in the digital business including product development/delivery and new product introduction. This is an excellent time to be joining a highly successful market leader in the healthcare industry and drive significant technology change across the organization.
Interested in Joining the Team?
Closing date for applications: 25th April 2018
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
• Experience in technology architecture of analytics and/or big data solutions and development/delivery of such solutions in a world-class innovative company.
• Fully conversant with big-data processing approaches and “schema-on-read” methodologies.
• Experience of the Azure analytics components, Power BI & Microsoft Visual Studio is a must.
• Excellent development skills & extensive hand-on development & coding experience in a variety of languages, e.g. C#, Python, SQL, DAX, etc.
• Have a highly innovative mind-set and experience with analytics in a healthcare or CPG company.
• Knowledge of Hadoop/Spark/DataBricks and/or Data Science and Machine Learning approaches.
• Ability to work in close partnership with other IT functions such as IT security, compliance, infrastructure, etc. as well as partner closely with business stakeholders in the commercial and digital organizations.
• Ability to develop and maintain productive working links with suppliers and specialist technology providers to assemble and maintain a distinctive and flexible mix of capabilities against future requirements.
• 5-7 years as a senior Development/Delivery Manager in the Data & Analytics arena with demonstrated expertise in emerging technologies and data technology platforms and management.
• Fully conversant with agile and DevOps development methodology and concepts.
• Great communication skills and ability to communicate inherently complicated technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
• MS/BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Design or equivalent experience, with weighting on experience and proven track record preferred. Ideal candidate would have built an impressive hands-on career to date in an advanced, recognized and innovative environment.
Please see basic qualifications
At GSK we are a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare. Our mission is inspiring and challenging – to help people do more, feel better and live longer.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.