- About us
- People Like Me
- WISE Awards
- WISE Conference
GlaxoSmithKline is one of the world's leading pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, with statisticians and programmers working in Research and Development at UK and US sites. The Quantitative Sciences division includes a Clinical Programming department, covering all phases of clinical drug development and commercialisation in a wide range of therapeutic areas. In recognition of the developing sophistication and technical requirements of the role, Clinical Programming was formed as a standalone department distinct to Clinical Statistics. In addition to the group’s activities supporting GSK’s pipeline of drugs, key accountabilities include developing and implementing strategies for programming resourcing using both internal, external, onshore and offshore resource; driving CDISC implementation for the reporting of clinical trials; and identifying and implementing IT solutions to offer further benefit and efficiency for the group’s activities.
The Principal Programmer leads, or makes a major contribution to the planning and execution of multiple programming activities for GSK clinical trials, accountable for creating, verifying, and documenting analyses of clinical data while adhering to study protocols, analysis plans and GSK / industry standards.
• Acts as a subject matter expert and works as a lead within own discipline to investigate new technology as directed.
• Provides technical contribution to complex tasks.
• Ensures the collection of programs/outputs and issues are adequately managed for programming activities to achieve business outcomes.
• Applies learning from previous activities to result in quicker and more efficient completion of the current task.
• Shares learnings with peers and contributes to internal technical discussions/forums.
• Initiates new directions and novel strategies to achieve department goals.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact (+44) 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
• BSc or higher in mathematics, statistics, computer science or related discipline.
• Recognized expertise in SAS programming and SAS macro code development. Understanding of other SAS products (e.g. SAS/GRAPH, SAS Output Delivery System).
• A thorough understanding of the end to end clinical trial process.
• A solid level of understanding of the pharmaceutical regulatory and publishing processes (e.g. 21 CFR Part 11).
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the application of CDISC data and standards, primarily the creation and use of ADaM datasets.
• Project management or relevant experience.
• Knowledge of basic computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Knowledge of non-SAS programming packages/languages (e.g. Spotfire, S-Plus, R, Python).
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.