- About us
- People Like Me
- WISE Awards
- WISE Conference
Galvani Bioelectronics is a “one of a kind” therapeutics R&D company formed through a partnership between global healthcare company, GSK, and leading technology company, Verily Life Sciences. With long-term commitments from its parent companies (~£600M over 7 years, subject to milestones), Galvani has a rare opportunity to herald in a paradigm shift in medical practice and contribute to improving the lives of millions of patients.
Galvani is dedicated to the development of bioelectronic medicines - a new class of therapies for chronic disease through peripheral neuromodulation with mechanistic precision. Bioelectronic medicine is an emerging scientific field, aiming to use tiny implantable devices to change precise electrical signals in nerves to treat a range of debilitating chronic diseases. At Galvani, we believe bioelectronics have the potential to change the face of medical science forever and our ambition is to take the lead. We are developing the expertise to place tiny devices inside the human body. These will be programmed to read and modify electrical signals passing along nerves in the body to restore health.
To realize this step change, we challenge our people to think the extraordinary, to be brave, and to forge unlikely alliances and partnerships. We embrace radical new thinking and believe that, through this, we can shape the future of medical science. If you would welcome this challenge, we are currently recruiting a patent counsel with a mechanical, electrical and/or biomedical engineering background to support our product development team.
To support a fast-paced product medical device development team with a full-range of patent services. The patent attorney in this role needs to provide well-reasoned advice to capture the value of investment in R&D in this early stage enterprise. The incumbent will be responsible for patent procurement, patent defense and enforcement, evaluation of 3rd party opportunities and risks, as well as managing outside patent counsel and other legal consultants as required. The role requires the ability to work flexibly and across boundaries in a matrix environment, and to communicate effectively with clients, collaborators and contractors.
Key Job Responsibilities:
• Liaise with R&D project teams to identify patentable inventions
• Draft, file and prosecute patent applications and work with or manage activities of external legal counsel on patent matters
• Identify relevant third party intellectual property, evaluate risk, advise business and implement an appropriate strategy to mitigate this risk (e.g. opposition or litigation work and/or licensing, including developing cross-licensing strategies, to ensure freedom to operate)
• Provide analysis and counsel on intellectual property aspects of research, transactional and commercial issues —integrating legal knowledge with sound business understanding
• Anticipate and proactively support the prevention and management of legal risks facing the company
• Conduct or coordinate research on legal issues
• Advise and assist in drafting appropriate IP related terms in licenses, contracts and other legal documents
• Review business, scientific, commercial, and sales/marketing documents/communications and advise on appropriate strategy/language to manage intellectual property risk while maximizing business benefit
• Assist in educating business on sound IP practices and new developments
• Participate in or lead special projects furthering development and embedding of best practices or expanded IP knowledge
• Assist in IP litigation efforts as necessary
This role will remain advertised until filled. We will start reviewing CVs on the 20th January 2018.
• Technical qualification in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, biomedical engineering or equivalent
• US patent attorneys require a JD from an accredited US law school; admission to at least one state bar (eligibility for California limited in-house counsel); and admission to practice before the USPTO (patent bar)
• European patent attorneys require EPA and CPA qualifications
• Experience in patent law (corporate or private practice)
• Ability to handle a range of patent issues of mid-level complexity and financial importance working under supervision commensurate with experience
• Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
• Proficiency with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Prior experience in or supporting the Medical Device Industry
• Demonstrated interpersonal, negotiating, and communication skills
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and address issues beyond those raised
• Demonstrated business partnership skills and the ability to deal confidently with the R&D colleagues and senior management
Galvani Bioelectronics is a new company, established in November 2016, dedicated to the development of bioelectronic medicines – a new class of medicines consisting of miniaturised, implantable devices.
Formed through a partnership between global healthcare company, GSK, and leading technology company, Verily Life Sciences, Galvani Bioelectronics combines the complementary expertise of its parent companies to enable the research, development and commercialisation of bioelectronic therapies.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.