- About us
- People Like Me
- WISE Awards
- WISE Conference
• Scientific Degree
• Significant’ experience in an R&D consumer focused role with a strong scientific background
• Experience and demonstrated ability in consumer insight and sensory research
• Expert in design, placement and analysis of Consumer Science research – qualitative, quantitative methods, psychology
• Works effectively with commercial to develop concepts must be able to translate complex technical problems and solutions to Commercial
• Develops consumer inspired innovation pipelines with strong focus on the consumer target, brand heart and superior technologies that deliver superior consumer acceptance
• Knowledge and deep understanding of the pharmaceutical or fast moving consumer healthcare industries, and broader (and evolving) trends in healthcare landscape (dependent on the relevant category role).
• Global experience an advantage
• Demonstrated expertise in communicating science to non scientists (commercial and agency partners) and developing winning concepts based on consumer need. Expertise in communicating consumer needs, wants and aspirations to the R&D community
• Demonstrated ability to develop novel methodologies and research standards for consumer studies
• Understand how to deliver consumer and efficacy claim substantiation
• Excellent analytical skills, including strategic thinking, ability to frame problems and opportunities using supporting data, problem solving and measuring impact
• A self-starter, proactively identifying the need for specific research plans and working effectively with the Statistician to drive the development of predictive consumer models
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Ability to influence and establish good working relationships with category stakeholders
• Excellent communication skills, including presentations, , meeting facilitation, and one-on-one/small group
• Passion for innovation and excellence in achieving results
• Commercially savvy with proven ability to work seamlessly with colleagues in Commercial functions.
• Experience of substantiating strong, motivating claims using consumer experience data.
• Knowledge of sensory science an advantage
Who we are ?
A science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose: to help people do more, feel better,
We have 3 global businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
What we do
We aim to bring differentiated, high-quality and needed healthcare products to as many people as possible, with our 3 global businesses, scientific and technical know-how and talented people.
Pharmaceuticals – Our Pharmaceutical business has a broad portfolio of innovative and established medicines. We currently focus on developing new medicines in respiratory and HIV/infectious diseases, oncology and immuno-inflammation; with discovery research exploring these and other areas.
Vaccines – Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
Consumer Healthcare – Our Consumer Healthcare business develops and markets consumer preferred and expert recommended brands in the Oral Health, Pain Relief, Respiratory, Nutrition/Gastro-intestinal and Skin Health categories.
How we’ll do it
Everyone at GSK will focus on 3 priorities – Innovation, Performance, Trust
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of
Our values: Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity
Our expectations: Courage, Accountability, Development, Teamwork
Why we do it
To help people do more, feel better, live longer
The R&D Director Consumer Science, is a member of the Skin Health Category Innovation Leadership team and is responsible for providing consumer direction and leadership in product design to the global category innovation team they are also a member of the R&D Innovation team and responsible for consumer understanding for early pipeline innovation programmes
As the successful candidate candidate you will have a very strong commercial awareness with experience working with both regional and global marketing teams as this person will be responsible for ensuring that all product innovation is consumer-centric.
You will serve as the “Consumer Voice” within the category R&D organization.
• Responsible for strategy development within the R&D category of superior (1) consumer insight identification (2) holistic product sensory development and (3) associated quality documentation.
• Consumer Insight Identification:
- Act as the ‘consumer-champion’ within Category R&D and within R&D Innovation– is a strategic innovation leader who will ensure deep understanding of the consumer usage experience.
- Create 360 Holistic Consumer sensory strategy via holistic cross-functional collaboration that will improve taste, smell, touch and sight perceptions; and therefore overall product delight.
• Holistic Product Development:
- If successful, you will translate consumer behaviour, barriers, and insights to drive towards technical solutions that will improve total product experience and the perception of efficacy.
- You will develop predictive models to drive simplification and cost savings within R&D product development and optimisation
- Implement sensory innovation that will drive consumer perceived product efficacy.
- Collaborate with R&D and Commercial leads to develop brand innovation strategy and determine how to best deliver superior consumer sensory and efficacy experience for each product innovation.
- Identify, design, and implement new consumer research processes, techniques and methods to enhance new product development capability (speed, quality, accuracy, efficiency)
- Lead validation of new technology applications via robust understanding of consumer science profile.
- Share best practices across all categories
• Quality Documentation
- Lead the implementation of consumer-driven technology innovation to ensure that all quality, safety, and regulatory requirements are met.
- Ensure all technologies and applications are appropriately documented and incorporated into the Quality Management System.
• As the preferred candidate, you must have a unique skill set with (1) strong and broad understanding of entire innovation/ development process across R&D functions and within the category, (2) leadership and influencing skills (3) high level of commercial awareness and (4) high level of creativity and problem-solving (5) strong technical understanding of the Skin Health category and biology/biochemistry (or demonstrated ability to be able to quickly learn technology) (6) knowledge of GCP requirements and regulatory environment an advantage
• Leads all Consumer Insight development within the Skin Health R&D category and R&D Innovation, setting functional objectives, driving standards, consistency and ensuring excellence in results.
• Provides leadership to R&D category strategy and R&D Innovation for (1) consumer insight identification (2) holistic product profile development and (3) associated quality documentation
• Collaborate with key R&D and commercial stakeholders in the category to develop superior holistic consumer usage experience and ensure flawless technical in-market execution.
• Develop an in depth understanding of target consumers habits practices, needs, insights and drivers of consumer acceptance.
• Partnership with commercial to develop the consumer inspired innovation pipeline and product design criteria. Delivering products that have superior consumer acceptance
• Leads development of actionable consumer learning plans for projects which utilise state of the art and conventional consumer/sensory/clinical research methodologies with the objective of dimentionalising the consumer experience of the product into actionable recommendations for product improvement. Must be able to distill consumer/sensory learnings into clear actionable conclusions, learnings and next steps
• Partner with Principal Consumer Statistician to develop predictive consumer models and then work with the sensory teams to implement learnings into fast sensory evaluation of products
• Through strong technical and consumer knowledge will be able to provide product development with formulation improvements and will be able to work with commercial to define winning claims and concepts that reflect product performance
• Will work with Commercial and R&D team to develop winning concepts based on consumer insights and differentiated science with superior product design
• Provide extensive knowledge of industry best practices with respect to consumer methodologies and maintains significant awareness of developing/ state-of-the-art technology in category. Responsible for the generation of actionable high quality, compliant reports
• Will drive to develop state of the art consumer science research that will be published to drive GSKs scientific credibility in product design
• Ensure output is delivered to meet / exceed quality standards, time and budget commitments
Closing date for applications: December 12th 2017
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.