- About us
- People Like Me
- WISE Awards
- WISE Conference
GSK are a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 89 manufacturing sites, and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Belgium and China.
Our global manufacturing and supply (GMS) teams are responsible for making and shipping the products that help people do more, feel better, live longer. We have more than 27,000 people in GMS, across 86 sites in 36 countries. Together, these people help to produce 4 billion packs of medicine.
GMS Production Procurement manages a total third party spend of £3.4bn and is tasked to deliver a 25% cost reduction by the end of 2020. The GMS ambition is to grow the business as well as generating significant cost reduction.
We are currently looking to recruit a Category Manager to be responsible for the Global Commodity Management of Carbohydrates (covering Sorbitol, Glucose, Mannitol, Starch), Gums (covering Xanthan Gum & Carrageen) Wheat Dextrin & Rutin. This individual will lead and small team to handle a global spend of c£50million, supporting a network of 60+ GSK sites and Contract Manufacturing Organisations (CMOs) and c50 suppliers around the world.
The key responsibilities for this role are as follows –
• Lead the development, management and implementation of comprehensive strategies on a global, regional or local basis in alignment with GSK and Procurement to deliver agreed savings targets and other benefits that significantly impact GSK financial results
• Develop supply strategies that deliver business requirements across assurance of supply, quality, regulatory, service, cost and innovation
• Lead cross functional sourcing teams with joint accountability for technical and quality performance through strategy development and implementation at global, regional or local level
• Implement initiatives and programs to improve quality of bought-in goods and services and reduce lead times
• Lead, develop and manage the supply base for external GMS end to end supply chain providing supply of high quality and competitively priced materials and services, to meet GSK requirements
• Lead strategic relationships with critical suppliers providing secure and cost effective sources for relevant commodities
• Develop Continuous Improvement strategy for supply base employing lean and sigma approach including PUCC and DFM
• Lead development of Risk Mitigation strategies to ensure security of supply
• Lead implementation of risk management strategies for the mitigation of risk associated with goods and services in assigned area of responsibility
• Represent the category on relevant strategy development and supply chain planning forums
• Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders; agree RACIs and business requirements
To be considered for this opportunity the successful individual will need the following skills and experience –
• Ideally degree qualified in an appropriate subject paired with a proven track record in a strategic procurement role
• Experience with commodities and raw materials in an FMCG/Pharma
• Demonstrable commercial background, comfortable with negotiations and having difficult conversations internally and externally
• Knowledge and exposure to relevant global supply markets
• Possess a strategic mindset to cover supplier business relationships
• Understanding of manufacturing processes and regulatory requirements
• Project and change management experience with strong leadership capability
• A history of being an effective communicator and relationship development with cross functional teams, commercial and procurement personnel, business stakeholders and the external supply base
How do you apply? - Closing date for applications will be 19th October 2017.
When applying for this role, please ensure you use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to clearly describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter will be used to assess your application.
If requiring an adjustment for a disability, once selected for interview you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal applications - In accordance with GSK policy, it is an employee's responsibility to notify their line manager when they have been selected for an internal interview. We may be seeking a reference from your current manager; therefore if you have not already informed your manager of your application, please do immediately.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.