Integrating apprentices into the wider workforce
Siemens Digital Factory Process Industries and Drives (DF PD) have a strong Women’s Network and encourage the female apprentices to get involved for support and advice when they need it.
What we did.
- From year two onwards, we give the apprentices mentors to guide them in their journey.
- In their final year, we allocate them a placement where they will hopefully be working long term. This placement assesses best fit and we allocate a final placement based on their strengths and development areas.
- We celebrate the end of the four-year apprenticeship with a graduation ceremony, attended by senior management and which has also included Juergen Maier, CEO of Siemens UK.
What we learned.
- While both Jade and Helen (our female apprentices) have been involved with the Women’s Network, they have said that they’ve not needed to ask for any help or support yet.
- The apprentices say they like that management do actually listen to feedback and respond quickly to any concerns.
What we would do differently as a result.
Siemens DF PD foster an important culture of continuous improvement – we’re learning and improving every year.